Leaders from San Diego’s business community, government sector and civic leaders met on May 13th on UCSD’s campus to discuss strategies to boost San Diego’s exports and global economic competitiveness.
San Diego has been selected by the Brooking Institute as one of the eight U.S. cities to participate in a national initiative to pioneer a customized export plan based on the region’s unique asset. Together they developed a strategy to help local business to connect with international customers. Approximately 350 companies assisted the Brookings Institute to complete this assessment.
The panel included:
- Mayor Bob Filner, City of San Diego
- Mark Cafferty, President & CEO, San Diego Regional EDC
- Mark Kersey, City of San Diego – Council District 5
- Michael Masserman, Executive Director, Export Policy, Promotion & Strategy U.S. International Trade Administration
- Peter Cowhey, Dean and Qualcomm Professor, School of International Relations and Pacific Studies, UC San Diego
- Bob Nelson, Vice Chair of the Board of Port Commissioners
- Robert Gleason, Bord Chair, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority
- Elliot Hirshman, President, San Diego State University
- Steven Weathers, President & CEO, World Trade Center San Diego
Read press release HERE